Established in 1984, the Board of Imams Victoria is the first Imams board in Australia. Founding secretary Sheikh Fehmi Naji Imam (Former Grand Mufti of Australia), Sheikh Rexhep Idrizi, the founder president and three other Imams got together to set up BOIV. Today BOIV has about 27 member Imams and each one of them play a pivotal role in the religious life of every individual Muslim in Victoria.
The Muslim community was in dire need to have a formal organisation of Imams to guide it in the face of contemporary challenges at that time. It was the collective vision of our founding fathers that shaped the makeup of BOIV today.
Board of Imams Victoria is an affiliated organisation with Australian National Imams Council – ANIC
BOIV seeks to serve the Muslim community by providing effective leadership and guidance on matters of Islamic faith and Shariah (Islamic way of life). This website is the official gateway to all our services to members of the Muslim community in Victoria and Tasmania.
The BOIV envisions a Victoria in which the Muslims are able to realise the religious and spiritual needs and are free to practice their faith traditions with integrity, whilst living in harmony with one another and the broader community, and contributing towards building a cohesive society.
Our Mission & Approach
The BOIV was formed to provide religious and spiritual leadership to Muslims in Victoria and contribute to the harmony of the Victorian community by promoting positive relations between Muslims and people of different faiths, and greater public knowledge and understanding of the Islamic teachings, customs and practices.
The BOIV envisages to practice and promote respectful relationships, tolerance and understanding between different ethnic groups among Muslims and other faith communities.
The BOIV recognises and supports the right of individuals in Victoria to practice their religion freely and with integrity provided they abide by the state’s laws and do not incite religious hatred.
BOIV strives to;
- Strengthen the Islamic faith, its teachings and rules based on the Holy Quran and the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through good counselling amongst Muslims.
- Provide effective religious and spiritual leadership for all Muslims in Victoria.
- Advance all efforts towards greater unity and solidarity among the Imams, Islamic scholars (Ulema) and Islamic organisations in Victoria
- Develop strategic programs to deal with new and emerging issues and challenges facing Islam and Muslims particularly in education, family relationships, dispute resolution etc.
- Organise Islamic events such as conferences, training programs, interfaith dialogues to enhance greater understanding of Islamic teachings, customs and culture among Muslim youth and wider Victorian faith communities .
- Provide a point of reference for government, media, or any interested person or group who wish to know more about Islamic teachings, customs and culture in Victoria.